University of Nevada, Reno




A second time for love

By Heidi, her granddaughter


Grammy with second husband ForestMarian had just lost her husband of 32 years and was suffering a great deal. While visiting her sister Winifred in Florida, she gained employment in Gattles (retail store). She was going through a depression and working helped. She knew she would survive. So in the summer of 1970, she sold her home in Mason City and moved to Tropicana Bay Condominiums in Boca Raton.


She was happy and busy there. In the evenings she made shell jewelry which she sold to gift shops. With this profit, she went on a European vacation with Winifred and Carl. They introduced her to “cruising.” The three of them went to the Panama Canal, Caribbean, and France. She had a great time and felt it was wonderful of them to include her.


During her working years she attended night school in Boca Raton, enrolling in a few courses. Soon she passed the real estate exam in the state of Florida and began her new career. She worked in many locations, like the Port-a-Bella Yacht and Tennis Club, selling homes and condos. She received many real estate awards and was part of the Five Million Dollar Club. She kept her license for four years after her “retirement.” Real estate was a wonderful and rewarding career that kept her happy and busy at a time when she most needed it. The “joys of her life” were becoming and being a Grammy, which began with the birth of her only two grandchildren Heidi and Alex. Barb’s family visited often and the trips always included a sunny day at the beach.


After Winifred’s husband passed away, she moved to Pensacola leaving Marian behind. However, Marian’s days and years passed quickly as they were filled with work, dating, social life with gals, holidays with Barb and family, and her many harp jobs.


However her new activity was the Fred Astaire dance studio. She learned a great deal, enjoyed the parties, made many new friends, and met her second husband Forest. They dated a year and were married in a Presbyterian church (previously a Methodist, Marian became Presbyterian). A reception followed at a lovely French restaurant with their families.


Marian and Forest soon purchased a house in Leisureville in Boynton Beach, Florida. The house was yellow with a white roof, had two bedrooms and a patio dubbed “the Florida room” where grapefruit was eaten at breakfast and gifts were opened during Christmas. Here life was busy and full of social events (dances), club parties, movies, bowling, bridge games, exercise classes, swimming, and music events.


They also began traveling (cruising) to places like Alaska, Hawaii, Caribbean, Bermuda, the Mediterranean, and Europe. Together, they too endured Forest’s illnesses (two open-heart surgeries, 47 hospital days with endocarditis, and eye prosthesis) and Marian’s minor surgeries and a 13-month battle (with recurring episodes) of shingles.


Continue This Story